Friday, May 30, 2014

Lexi is a big sister!



Right away the adjustment to two babies was a juggling act. Daniel was there for Caden's birth and for some of the day. Then he left to pick Lexi up because there was really no one that could care for her overnight. My friend Karen stayed with me at the hospital which helped with my loneliness apart from Daniel.

The next day Daniel brought Lexi to the hospital to meet Caden. She was sweet with him and loved him right away. After they left I got several texts from Daniel about the horrific ride home. Lexi threw up in the car and Daniel had to pull over on the side of the road to take care of her and spend a half hour trying to calm her down to make it the rest of the way home.

Having Lexi and a baby is really like having twins since her needs are as much if not more than a newborns. After a week Daniel went back to work. I had people coming to help me with Lexi a few hours here and there but I was hormonal and emotional and I still struggled letting other people care for Lexi. I was controlling and micromanaging. It was easier for me to let them hold Caden and take care of Lexi myself.

Caden was a perfect baby. He hardly ever cried and if he did I could always calm him. I bonded with him right away. I had worried before I had him that I wouldn't be able to love someone else as much as Lexi. Even through most of my pregnancy I saw him as an extension of Lexi. My thoughts were that it would be good for Lexi to have a brother, to have an advocate when Daniel and I died someday. As soon as I saw him and heard his cry I was flooded with joy and peace. I can't even describe the delight that Caden brought me. Everything I imagined a little boy to be, everything I imagined having a baby to be I had with Caden. He was truly a dream come true.

No comments:

Post a Comment