Thursday, May 15, 2014

Therapy


At two months old Lexi began therapy. She went to a physical therapist in Portland. That didn't last long because the long car ride usually got Lexi so worked up that she was completely miserable the whole appointment. The therapist pretty much told us she couldn't do anything for us with Lexi that upset. I was relieved not to have to make the horrible trip every week.

Through early intervention we had an occupational therapist come to our house once a week and these were very positive times. Her therapist's name was Anne. I was so thankful for her and often felt like our time with her was not only good for Lexi but therapy for me. She taught me how to stretch Lexi out, how to do baby massage and how to exercise her. She introduced me to another mom with a similar birth story and child with Cerebral Palsy that was a few years ahead of me in this process. She responded gently to my fears and encouraged me to approach concerns like a puzzle, looking for the best solution without emotion.

Lexi liked her too. I appreciated how she listened to Lexi's cues, stopping when Lexi had enough. We had some other people come to our house and dismiss Lexi's cries when being stretched out. They had the attitude that they knew better than Lexi what her body needed. I would usually ask that they not come again as I comforted my little girl who was pushed to a painful point in therapy. I soon learned to speak up and be Lexi's voice when the people around her weren't listening. We would have a much better day if Lexi didn't get upset in the first place so I spent a lot of energy avoiding and anticipating anything that would aggravate her.

Since the list of things she didn't like was huge it was exhausting work. By the end of the day my spirit was depleted. I realized I wasn't enough for Lexi. I needed help.

No comments:

Post a Comment