I look at these sweet pictures and laugh because this was a CRAZY time! Speaking as a person who has 4 kids, the transition to 3 kids was by far the most difficult. Having one child is really the hardest because your life completely changes but after that I would say 3. This was because we were outnumbered and for us it was like having two newborns and a busy two year old. Since all kids have limitless needs someone always had to wait. It's overwhelming because you can never catch up.
There is a mind shift when you have a big family. You only have so much time and you're forced to learn to let go of your ideas of perfection. You are busy all day but there will be something that doesn't get done. You tell yourself it's good that your kids are learning patience. As for me, I was exhausted and not having as much fun being a stay at home mom.
Caden was a into everything two year old and we battled all day long. He tested the boundaries and kept me on my toes trying to keep him safe and occupied. I hated fighting with him and feeling like he was always in trouble. Even so, parenting my healthy boys at their worst does not compare to our hardest times with Lexi. There are times when Lexi is having a good day and the boys are not and she is actually easier than them. These have been few though.
Chase was a fussy baby who liked to eat for 5 minutes every hour. He had a lot of tummy aches at first and was not a good sleeper. He wanted attention all the time. The good thing was he adored his big brother and sister from the start and they were entertaining for him during the day. At night it was a challenge for me to go without sleep again. I had been sleeping through the night on the nights Lexi was gone before Chase arrived. Now there was no time to refresh and get prepared for Lexi's days home.
Lexi was having increased health issues with ear infections and getting tonsillitis repeatedly. We found the tubes did not stop the infections but made them less painful because the infection could drain out. Yucky, I know. She started having more rough nights of little or no sleep. Her hips were going out of socket so we knew a second hip surgery was in her future.
I'm sure it will be no surprise to hear that our first outing as a family of five was to the doctor for Lexi.
No comments:
Post a Comment